Monday, March 20, 2006

The Daffodils by William Wordsworth

Spring is here...here is one of my favourite
poem by William's Wordsworth.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er valleys and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM , Blogger Sarat said...

Given the cold weather we've been having off late, that actually wasn't even around in January (and its March now!), its possible that "The Daffodils" being posted in celebration of Spring may just have jinxed the onset of Spring.

I suggest a moratorium on future Spring celebrations, at least until the temperatures stay above freezing for more than a 24 hour period.

I do welcome the rain though. My naked raindance at an undisclosed location may have just made all the difference. The viewing gallery up in the heavens just did not want an encore!

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger Sib said...

What does the groundhog say ? ;)

But this is definitely one of my all-time favourite poems !

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger MYV said...

March 20th is the official first day of spring. Damn you Sarat for the rain dance but my allergies thank you profusely. I was ready to kill myself the other day for waking up in the morning and watching Martha Stewart. She was talking about making daffodil baskets and lamps out of bottles. I was so depressed at my act that I tried to cry on DC's shoulder later on. I told him how I had wasted time at home watching Martha Stewart of all things and DC said "oh yeah! she talked about making lamps out of the bottles". That simple sentence lifted my spirits up, and I realized I was not alone in this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home